Saturday 16 June 2018

Noelle - Mallori Lane bra top (plus a bonus Watson!)

I have been planning on making this top since I first made Noelle and Mallori Lane bra tops.
My initial problem with Noelle was that (a) I think I was making a size too big, and (b) the back didn't work for me.
My problem with Mallori Lane was that the long line wasn't happening, and without that it was kind of a nothing.  Though I might return to that concept and make some very simple bra tops, it wasn't quite inspiring enough on its own.

I used the back from the Mallori Lane, lower half, and the front from Noelle, size XS, top only, without the long line addition.  I did add a seam allowance which I don't think I needed.  The sides lined up with no adjustment.

This is scuba fabric, also used for this here Watson bra:

The Watson, in a size 32B, fits me correctly around the chest. However unless you have boobs of steel, I think scuba fabric is a bad idea for this type of bra, because it tries to shape the cups too much.  The silk Watson is the one I've made with the best fit, so I think I'll return to that kind of fine, drapey stretch fabrics in the future.  So this bra was a loss because I didn't want weird shaped boobs.

So, back to the main story.  I didn't use any metal loops in the front, and I did a cross back with normal bra strapping and the adjusters in the back.  This was partly to avoid having metal bits on my collarbones, but that was also fixed by being the correct size.  The size small was sitting right on my collarbones.  I pulled slight tension while adding the picot elastic.


And this is perfect!  Exactly what I wanted in a halter-style cross back bra top!  Might not need a whole closet of these, but I'm really satisfied to have finally gotten all the elements to come together nicely.  I would probably add the metal loops in the front next time as it is just nicer looking than trying to sew about 6 layers all together at that spot.

Also, definitely a good option for a swimsuit top.

No comments:

Post a Comment