Wednesday 21 November 2018

Straight Stitch Designs Laurelhurst cardi review

This pattern company is new to me. I have taken note of their patterns in the past but never been inspired at all.  However I'm cold at work and thought this might fulfill certain dreams of long and warm cardigans.  Here is the pattern.

It took awhile to get my pattern due to some trouble with the post. In the meantime I'd chosen my fabric - it's Oeko-Tex cotton from Switzerland - and I already decided that I'd give my first attempt to a friend - I thought she'd like the bright colours better than I would.  I made the size 2. The side pieces are big and so I had to shorten the pattern by 2 inches to make it fit on 1.5 meters of fabric.

It also had construction a bit more complex than I had anticipated.  Not difficult at all but I followed the directions closely.  I didn't have any issues folding over the neck or attaching it.  However, I did realise right away that I do not like this pattern.  It would be a little better in a fabric where the inside isn't white because the inside will be visible when the cardi is worn. 

Overall I feel like I'm wearing a badly cut random piece of fabric, rather than an actual sewn item of clothing.  I mean, it would be fine if it were an attempt at a waste-free cardi...but it's not.  Also, you cut into the front, creating a kind of open triangle, and then attach it to the back.  Because of the orientation of the cut's apex, you end up with the weakest part of that triangle at the shoulder, right where in general I would prefer a strong and trustworthy seam.



Reading through the Straight Stitch Designs philosophy I got that these patterns are for busy people who want creative looking clothes in a hurry.  I think that's not my style.  I need some finishing touches.

Fit wise - good.  Also because of the interesting cut and the L shape it creates, the front has an waterfall drape.  Again - I would prefer to achieve this effect with pleats at the shoulder, as in the Lisboa top.







This one was not for me, though the fit was fine.  I'm hoping my friend will like it but I won't make this pattern again.

No comments:

Post a Comment