Wednesday 9 October 2019

True Bias Lodo dress masterpiece

I have been trying to choose a pattern for a certain summer dress and while browsing I came across this pattern.  It's meant for moderately stable knits and has facings. 

Then while on night shifts last weekend (always a creative time...) I suddenly had A Vision!  I bought the dress and it went from idea to reality in about 4 days. Took so long only because I have been cementing some other sewing visions simultaneously, plus recuperating sleep from those night shifts.

I traced a size 2 at the top and went out to a size 6 at the hips to avoid too much pooling in my lower back. The photos don't really show how amazingly successful this was because of course layers of knit will cling.  But I'm really pleased with the fit. 

My vision involved this pale lime coloured bamboo blend that I got in Otara, cheap fabric mecca of Auckland.  The colour made it impossible to say no to.  It is definitely see through.  I cut two of the front and back.  For the hem band, I folded away the hem, and then cut off the bottom 10 cm.  I mirror imaged it so that I would fold it over at the hem.  In this way my two layer dress is fully enclosed with only one visible overlocked seam.  Obviously, no facings were necessary.  Also, the weight of the bamboo meant I got a basically perfect neckline with no effort on my part. 

SECRET PAJAMAS, dress style!




I did the entire dress on the overlocker except for the neck.  I did the neck with the sewing machine and then overlocked that edge.  This way it is more stable and I had the sewing machine control to get a perfect v. 

Order for a two layer dress like this:

-shoulder seams
-sew both dresses together at the neck, iron.
-burrito for the armholes.
-sew each side seam continuously, up one side and down the other.
-attach hem band.







It took about an hour. 
I'm so pleased and I haven't taken it off since making it!  Win! 

No comments:

Post a Comment