Wednesday 5 May 2021

Closet Core patterns Poufs x 4 (and more!)

For some reason I have talked myself into making a quilt. It's because my best friend Tessa made the most gorgeous quilt known to man and I must have one for myself.

These poufs were all about getting rid of scraps and having a nicer place to lounge about on my floor.  I also wanted to see how bad I am at sewing things together when I only have 1/4" SA and it Matters.

At the end of all this I thought I should be a bit more prepared for precision piecework.  The 1/4" foot arrived (it was delayed for about 3 months due to lockdown).

I went totally crazy cutting.  I ended up cutting out 4 poufs worth.

Pouf number 1.



Pouf number 2, which is for me.




Filled with all my hoarded scraps and it's not near full.


top number 3, I think this was the best one



Top number 4.

I did gain some accuracy as I went along, and learned a few tricks, but overall it is difficult to sew together fabrics that have different stretch characteristics and even my fourth pouf top is far far from perfect.  I completed 2 poufs and then I ran out of interfacing, plus I wanted to try using piping on the final two and I didn't really have any. (Then I changed my mind because I wanted fat piping and I couldn't find any.)  I was pretty relieved to get these done by the end of it, nothing like a project that sits on the floor for months.




Also I had been hoarding all my scraps since December to put in my two poufs (the other two are for friends) and I could not believe how much space was still empty in that first pouf in April!  It was barely full when I put all available scraps in, and took another few months of scraps to fill.  The second pouf is currently storage for clothing. (It's good at that!)

I was a little sad that it's hard to make these perfect but my pouf has been on the floor and is in really active use and even though it's sometimes been a bit squashed, as somehow I can't get the stiffness others seem to manage - the imprecision in the different pieces lining up doesn't really matter.

For precision - use upholstery fabric and use all one type, without a loose weave.  Use heavy interfacing, the stuff that feels like paper. And don't overlock anything.  When I overlocked edges my pieces ended up quite different sizes!  But anyway, this is meant to be a unique statement, and my poufs certainly are.   I didn't realise quite how much until I moved house and it ends up that these poufs are basically the best ever pieces of mobile furniture...so I made two more half poufs (and with piping)!  Stopping here!  Also, the piping does look good but whoa it was such a pain, and just like the bigger poufs, I cut and then delayed because I didn't find these very much fun to make.  Lately it seems that the more I want the finished item, the less I like the process.  (I'm looking at you, Quilt.)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poufs are fantastic! I made one out of old denim scraps from discarded jeans. Denim seems to be a good material to use for these, and I agree, you need to use something stable. I am still shocked by how many scraps fit in mine! I saw someone on YouTube that cut all the scrap pieces up, so it fills it more evenly. I may go back and try that, but for now, it's a cute little feature in the living room. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for commenting : )
      I only use the literal scraps - like too small to ever use for anything - but even then I think every few months I can add a topup because they compress from being sat upon. The one with stretchy fabric has completely stretched into a weird shape despite interfacing...but the 4 of these in my living room are great furniture.

      Delete