Sunday 24 May 2020

Stacker jacket by Papercut patterns

Well this has a dumb name and I keep wanting to call it the slacker jacket...that didn't stop me from wanting to make it.

I liked the simplicity. Didn't realise it was lined - I would have happily gone with it unlined but following the directions was easier so I found a nice lining for it which had been in my stash for ages. It's a quilting cotton from Hawaii. I used silk to line the sleeves.

This came together really easily. I knew from the start that I was making it for a friend.  I stopped before putting in the buttonholes because my sewing machine hates buttonholes.  It took me until lockdown to get on with it (also because I had no rush while I couldn't mail things...)

Fabric: beautiful corduroy from Miss Maude. I was a tiny bit sad to give this away, this fabric, I just can't think of what else I want made out of it.

I made this in size 3. That matched the size chart and the fit is exactly right.








I think I might have gone with too big buttons but I pulled them from my button stash and they were the perfect match.  When I finally did the buttonholes things went surprisingly well - two buttonholes were great, one was slightly messed up and the top one, where there's a nearby seam, was a hellish catastrophe.  About as expected.  I have become pretty skilled at using a bar tack to supplement all the bad buttonholes I've made lately. They look terrible but luckily are usually hidden by buttons (you know, as buttonholes are.)

I noticed that there's only like a cm between the buttonhole and the edge of the fabric, so hopefully they will hold up ok.






I keep being surprised by how beautiful this jacket is!

Few thoughts:

The sleeves are slightly dropped which makes them seem droopy to me, but definitely makes them easy to fit, because you don't need to worry much about the armscye fit like it a more closely fitting jacket.
Also, the pockets are similar to other things I've seen lately, for some reason tall skinny pockets are in vogue - they are good for storing objects, but they are bad for hands.  Just so you know.  

No comments:

Post a Comment