Friday 19 March 2021

Pomona pants by Anna Allen (and by me!)

 I decided that despite last year's intensive work on the Free Range Slacks, and a recent foray into the Elizabeth Suzann Clyde pants, I really did need these in my life.  Because who can resist beautiful drafting and the excellent butt fit?  

I made a size 4, which has consistently been my size in Anna Allen patterns.  Based on previous experience, I shortened the rise by 1". I shortened the legs 1" as well.  I made all my adjustments on both patterns then determined I didn't currently own any fabric with enough yardage...except one.  So my first pair is this oatmeal white rayon linen blend from Otara, the cheap fabric neighborhood in Auckland.  This fabric has proven to be an excellent match to the pattern! 

My only beef - I had to make the narrow leg version due to said fabric restrictions, and it doesn't have markings for front pockets so I had to sew them on last, by eyeing where they belong.  I've since transferred those marks onto the pattern but it's on the wide leg version, why not on the tapered? 

Other than that these were a joy to make AND they took about 2 hours including both pattern modifications, fishing through my stash, and documenting the process as I went for a friend, AND even a fortifying coffee break.  Unfortunately I had only crappy elastic and it has already started to roll up.  I wore these right away, and I wore them to Auckland (where I bought more elastic but was foiled by covid and didn't get to do any fabric shopping) and then I sneakily took this fancy photo shoot in the morning before I left Auckland, just as they locked down.  






 

So then I decided to experiment. I used the tapered leg version, size 0, and a stretch satin fabric in this very pretty and very busy flower sort of print.  It was equally fast to make, and the final answer here is NO. It loses all the drape without becoming fitted enough to look good.  The pattern is also way too busy! 




 

I was going to buy some good practice fabric for the wide leg version.  But because I missed my chance in Auckland, I was limited to online shops and it seemed like I would have to spent $150 to get enough fabric...so I decided to just go for it and cut into some of the silks I've been hoarding.  It's a goal this year to actually make things out of my precious hoard.  I have about 5 of these silks from Thailand.  They are challenging to match to a project because they are very structured silks, and loomed, so they are narrow.  I don't wear many fancy dresses and I can't seem to find any jacket patterns I like...so here we are! 

I cut on the cross grain to use the loomed edge for my hems, and removed about 3" off the hem out of necessity due to my fabric width.  I used the other edge for the pockets to add some detail.  The silk is very easy to sew, so there's not much to add there.  Now the question is whether these structured pants will get used!  They are very pretty and I'm super pleased with the fit.  I do see that the butt fit is different in these compared to the tapered leg pants, and I wonder whether it's a difference in my fabric or if the pattern pieces are subtly different.  I think both look good, and once I have confirmation that the wide leg has a place in my wardrobe I will probably make more.  I still want to try some heavier weight ones when I find the right fabric!






 

Finally I got onto my tapered plans, made of some greenish yellow linen ("Celery") from The Fabric Store. I was able to get these out of 2m of the fabric. This is the first time I used the pattern piece with the pockets drawn on the front so I was a little worried that maybe I had transferred the markings from the first pair of pants wrong, but they seem to be ok.







It is very funny that although these linen tapered pants are great, the first version made of cheap stash rayon-linen absolutely hit the spot for this pattern - with a bit more weight and a lot of drape.  I'll probably buy more of that fabric now that I've seen it in action. 

I texted a friend, worried that I'll never make anything except Pomona pants from now on...


7 comments:

  1. These look lovely on you. I have the pattern and now I am going to send it to be printed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! They are really a satisfying project and I think they are the elastic waist pants I like the most.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I really like a lot of these pants. I really love the celery ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, me too! It's getting cold out and I'm trying to figure out what fabric to use to make winter pairs too...I recommend them.

      Delete
  3. I just did a test version of these shorts and I think I need to shorten the rise. Did you shorten yours by using the rise adjustment line? Just took out an inch?

    ReplyDelete