Tuesday 11 May 2021

some new knickers: Orange lingerie Montgomery briefs

 These are very pretty. 




The question was, of course, whether they would adequately translate from a pattern made out of plastic (that's YOU stretch lace and power mesh) into a pattern made from my cotton fabric scraps (the goal).  

I started by following the instructions (is it funny that this is rare, unusual, and requires comment?)  I made size S. I used some navy power mesh from my stash, matching lace, and some pink picot elastic.  The instructions are fine. The problems are technical.  Four layers coming together on the back of the crotch.  A weird edge where that all meets up.  Other than that, the fit was fine.  

I cut out two pairs of mixed rayon and silk jersey.  In retrospect I should have gone for the beefier interlock I had sitting around, at least for the front.  One pair got entirely scuppered as I decided to change things up a bit and sewed the edges of the crotch pieces together with right sides facing, then flipped the crotch out to avoid putting elastic along the crotch piece. However, the result was that the front and the front crotch didn't match up.  It was not a salvageable mistake.  

Take 2 I did the same thing but I *also* did that to the front, which I doubled.  So I avoided any picot elastic, which for me is a good thing as all the stuff does is shred all over everything in the wash and then fall apart.  I did a clever thing where I put the crotch into the front and sewed them together inside out, so I got a nice finish there too.  Of course I was still stuck with four layers at the back.  This pair of underwear is wearable, but very loose.  I won't avoid panty lines - because the back won't really fit under tight pants!  Haha I will wear them to bed anyway.  I'll try out the plastic ones too and see what I think.  I have a lot of power mesh and it would be nice to have a way to get rid of it.  I don't really have much lace, because I dislike sewing it and I dislike wearing it...




This was a fun experiment but it seemed to conclude in: 

Acacia panties are best. 

Watsons are just a bit narrower so they cut my butt cheeks in half.

Between these two patterns I can happily upcycle tshirts into underwear for me and all of my friends basically forever...except when we don't want pantylines. 

Barry briefs are for when I figure out the coverstitch binding attachment. 

And Esme panties by Evie La Luve are the epic wonder for avoiding pantylines and looking fancy.  I think it just won't get any better than those.  (Which just led me down a wormhole of panty patterns so expect me to be trying out two more in the next few weeks....oooopssss.)

3 comments:

  1. So I like the Barrie Briefs. They fit me well and are comfortable. But lines....so I figured out how to adjust the pattern and redraft the back to get something more like the Montgomery. Has worked well....but I have one pair where the power mesh has stretched out a bit and now they don’t stay out as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's disappointing to hear about power mesh, I would have expected it to hold its shape really well. The So Zo underwear pattern has been improved and I've acquired two more patterns to try so I will probably go on another experimental bender soon. Sadly the cutest me made underwear uses picot elastic, and that ends up being the worst for lines, and it inevitably falls apart in the wash. Holy grail...

      Delete
  2. Designer men and womens wear. High fashion brands at affordable prices. Men underwear , boxers and briefs, womens hipster knickers panties minis and thongs . Sexy underwear for men and women. Designer apparel jumpers , jeans, tops and bottoms. High end swimwear, genuine highest quality swimming costumes. Other accessories and hard to find items , always on sale, always at great prices. menswear

    ReplyDelete