Tuesday 23 November 2021

Merchant and Mills field belt in oilskin

 I had been planning this for a year or so.  I had a scrap of suede, which is always annoying, I need to not buy leather without plans...

Anyway so something was blocking it.  And eventually I realised I didn't want it in suede.  I finally had the true vision! Bought grey oilskin from Miss Maude, the oilskin backing, and used a piece of my precious heart fabric that I sadly made into a crappy and thus far not salvaged top!  I had the notions kit and it was so amazingly easy!  Really easy!  I want to make all the bags, and I want to make everything with oilskin now!!









 

This is basically a rectangle that you fold up and you apply the clasps strategically onto it, bag out a lining and box the corners - that's the hardest bit since they are at the bottom.  I had been thinking about this bag for so long that it came as a shock when the entire process took an hour or two.  The rivets in the kit just hammer together with no tools, and my very old hole maker for leather performed fine at making holes.  The only trick is getting the buckles on upright, the picture is correct but somehow seems wrong, which played with my mind.  I used a teflon foot for the oilskin but I'm not sure I even needed it.  My machine definitely got oiled a bit!

A fun little project. The bag is very small, and the leather belt is very firm, so my only grief is really a fabric belt or something floppy would have been more comfortable, because I'll never get enough weight in the bag to need such a substantial belt portion, since I will wear it loosely belted as a bum bag, or as a crossbody.  Maybe the leather will soften.  Also the leather belt really is sized for a man, I could have done with about 10" less length altogether and I've added more holes but probably still not enough if I want it relatively high at my waist. 

I now want to make a whole wardrobe in oilskin.

No comments:

Post a Comment