Thursday 29 March 2018

Chalk and Notch Pony tank and a sewing day!

I am whiling away time in New Zealand waiting for my Australian visa.  It's all pretty good, but my luggage...is in Australia.  So I am knitting.  But it's been over a month and I started to get a little itchy for some sewing.  I wrote up a friend who sews locally and she invited me over for a sewing day - something that she does weekly.

I prepped the Anima pants and the Pony tank.  She offered to show me how her serger worked and of course I was jumping with excitement!!  So a mix of a new pattern and an old pattern seemed about right.

Nothing to say about my Anima pants.  I have made this so many times that I could basically do the changes in my sleep.  What I could add is that the new, updated A0 pattern came out...literally 10 minutes after I got to my friends house...so I spent the next hour cutting and taping.  I make a size XXS, remove 10 cm of the length, remove the fly and the pockets.  And no drawstring.  For this version I went with tulip cuffs.  I added 2 cm width to each cuff and then visualised the tulip shape, cut all four ends together and then just sewed the edges shut before flipping it right side out.  I realised afterwards that I didn't need to add any width, because my overlap was the same amount as the seam allowance would have been.  So the cuffs are loose, but look great.  I love this little feature that makes my SERGED Anima pants the best ones I've ever made.






The Pony tank is basically as advertised.  I cut the size 2 based on my measurements.  There is a lot of commentary about how high the armscye is.  It is high.  I was all proud of not trying this top on before I applied the armbands.  Don't be like me.  I still need to fix them - I took it home and tried really hard to wear it and the armholes just are not working out.  Unfortunately stuff that has been overlocked...is not much fun to undo.  But it will happen soon!




4 comments:

  1. I love the tulip cuffs.. I've seen this but didn't know what it was called. It doesn't look like the sleeve is cut high... if you want to take out the overlocking easily, pull on the needle threads from the back and then the looper threads unravel easily... just make sure it's the right thread otherwise it tightens it all up... ask me how I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try that! Sounds like hard-earned learning! The front of the armscye is really high into my armpit, which you can't see when I have my arm raised, but it's what creates the lines across the upper front bust. I was hoping it would be minor but it drives me crazy.

      Delete
  2. Now that you say that, I see it and that the back does look tight - I see it would drive you crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...and it's shameful how something like this has dumped it straight into a UFO pile. Still not fixed because of how much I don't want to undo that overlocking.

      Delete