Monday 29 October 2018

Patterns for Pirates linen loungers in silk wool houndstooth

I made a bunch of major changes from version 1 (here) to this version.


I went from S to XXS.  I lengthened the legs by 2 inches, and I used the yoga waistband.  I also switched up the pocket options.




This pattern went pretty smoothly the second time around. The fabric is a silk-wool blend which tends to be slippery and shreds.  I went for as many french seams as possible though I did not enclose the waistband.  I realised my mistake and went back over it with FOE (not sure this was the best option.)  It looks a bit ridiculous inside but holds everything in.


I still used the shaped hem, I had to cut the straight edges off it since my lengthened leg pieces continued to narrow, but they still matched up at the important curved bits.  

I could definitely have gone with the XS instead of exaggerating!  These are a snug fit.  The pockets are useless because my thighs need that space.  And this drapey light fabric also creates really a different kind of fit.  Once I made these the weather changed and I didn't get a chance to wear them.  They were sitting around waiting for me to take photos and decide what to do next, when my housemate saw them and fell in love.  She is slimmer than I am and they look great on her - the slightly shiny fabric suits her aesthetic perfectly so I donated them right away and I think she has been wearing them for 2 days straight : )  I'm pretty happy with that result.  If I can get her to take pictures I'll add them!

Next time I will go with the XS.  I could imagine playing with the yoga waistband again, but I would wait until I could serge it (no overlocker was available when I made these.)  For now as the weather cools I have no intention of making more shorts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment