Wednesday 14 November 2018

Sew Liberated Metamorphic dress review

I found this pattern recently though it's been out for awhile. I think when it came out I just wasn't interested, but recently I've been All About layering my clothes.  Seems like I accidentally happened upon a trend...

So in my head I made up about 12 different versions.
In reality I got this fantastic flowered poplin from Drygood Design in Seattle. I had eyed it up in person and now was really pleased to have an excuse to buy it.  I got the last 2 meters.  I paired it with black silk noil.

And this time...I didn't make a practice version, or even a quick muslin.  Oh nope I did not.  I cut a size 4, and I shortened the bodice by 1 inch based on my recent success shortening everything.  And despite the pattern pieces lying on my floor for two hours, I had the outer skirt with the wrong edge against the fold of the fabric and I didn't notice my error.  The shape of the skirt makes this tempting to do, for some reason.

And here, I have a complaint.  Yes, every Indie pattern company is unique and special.  But that does NOT mean each company needs to reinvent the wheel.  Standard drafting marks on patterns mean that it's easy to switch from one pattern to another without confusion.  This pattern didn't use standard marks but used about fifty words to tell you to put one edge on the fold - easy to overlook, unlike a nice double arrow.  This is my second pattern by Sew Liberated - seems I am really liking her aesthetic, but I find the patterns and instructions just a bit difficult, though eventually the results are worth it.

I had to do some juggling of the instruction order to accommodate my skirt having no side seams.  

Anyway.  You know it.  The fit at the armscye is perfect - on everyone else maybe it's low but on me it is just right.  And the gathered ruffles hit just about 1 cm below my nipple line.  Oops.  It's totally unwearable.  When I first tried it on I thought I would need to lengthen the bodice but upon closer inspection I guess 1 inch is about right.  I didn't iron my gathers so they are even puffier than necessary, and I think that doing the skirt properly gives you a chance to control the gathers better than I did - I had to apply the outer skirt in the round instead of doing the front and back separately and topstitching the gathers down. 

I discovered while taking these photos that two layers, with the silk noil underneath, makes it feel like I'm wearing a bathrobe and I just fell in love with the feeling a little bit.  Not enough to make me love the dress but I stopped hating on it, and I think my next version will also use a silk noil base.






Not hemmed.  I stopped there.

I will not be thwarted!  In two ways.  First, after considering sending the offending dress straight to the Goodwill basket, I realised all that fabric could be salvaged into a different dress.  AND I'm still going to try this one again.  I'll focus on lighter weight fabrics to ensure that it doesn't feel so puffy, and I'll get the skirt right...and I won't make unnecessary adjustments.


No comments:

Post a Comment