Wednesday 4 December 2019

Sew House seven Free Range slacks in linen

I had a vision!  I was meandering through all the local shops and swooning over the linen pants.  Hundreds of dollars for these things. Ridiculous.  They are so simple, and most of them don't even fit very well.  Obviously I needed to make my own.  And conveniently, I had some leftover linen after making my Wiksten haori.  I trawled the internet (I don't know where I used to get ideas about patterns!  Was it Indiesew?  Was it Fiona's monthly round up?  Now I know nothing about what patterns are out there, seriously.  No clue. It's all about just tripping over the right thing, figuratively.)

Anyway I discovered the Sew House Seven Free Range slacks and bought it within minutes.  This was totally what I was looking for.

With measurements of 27-37 I was halfway between a 4 and a 6, but I made this right at the end of winter, before going to Nepal and it seemed wiser to size up than down.  Obviously I'd go down next time.  I did remove an inch from the crotch height all the way around, which was genius.  They definitely benefit from that.

I took a few days, and went pretty slowly.  The instructions had an annoying feature of not being all lined up, I had to scan up and down looking for the next bit as they tell you to flat fell things and other details about french seaming that I didn't bother with.  I have to say I've found flat felling a waste of time.  It looks bad and it's not, in my opinion, any better than a faux flat fell.  All of my seams were faux flat felled, finished with the overlocker, and topstitched.

I did add the back pockets because I've gotten more sensitive to what makes a garment look like RTW.  And stupid, useless things like back pockets are IT.  But also these pockets make the pants.  They end at the side panels, which are genius, and overall create a really nice style that makes these slacks a bit original.

(I think the word slacks is incorrect.  It refers to something made of polyester, preferably with pleats.  But I can see that these aren't trousers and in some parlance, the word pants is quite funny, so we are out of options, aren't we?)

The front pockets also have self binding which makes them really solid.

The seam allowance jumps around from 3/8 to 5/8 which seems idiotic to me. Just stick to one thing!  There were a few inconsistencies in the instructions but I wrote to the designer and she got back to me very quickly and has updated the pattern as well.

I'm a bit smaller after Nepal and I put these on and thought I was swimming, ugh. But then I didn't take them off for three days. Success!  I might still make the narrow leg version.  Except somehow I got trapped in another tshirt binge oops I really need to not make any more tshirts.














Other things to change: size 4 next time.  Shorten the waistband and the elastic by 1/2 inch, and remove 1" from the crotch height.  As is, it's just a bit ridiculous.  I could stick a chicken in the front of my pants, there's so much room.  Luckily it's basically summer here in Gisborne (known for what people call "good summer weather" which apparently means hot early and then even hotter) and I don't really care as it's good for ventilation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment