Monday 1 March 2021

Papercut patterns Mito cami review

 Lately I covet everything made by a brand called R13 and I've been putting in some effort to recreate their stuff (or track it down secondhand.)  I would have overlooked the Mito in the past due to its lack of coverage but now I want to recreate this dress: 

 

I figured I could easily hack the Mito into this. I read a few blogs and sized down with misgivings to an XXS. My bust is 32 and I have a lot of back, but I didn't want it to droop open to my belly button.  I also decided for some reason that pink and blue bra sliders were not the thing, I would have to just figure out the right strap length and sew the right length. This complicated matters a lot because I ended up changing the order and trying on the top many times with it held together full of pins, in order to adjust the strap length.  

My fabric is silk velvet and I lined it with a very stable silk remnant, which was great, as it helped me keep my main pieces in shape.  I didn't have trouble lining up any of the pieces. The drafting seemed fine.  The instructions were fine.  The fit...hm. 

Worse with pins in, but it's really hard to get over my head.  I suffer from clothes claustrophobia, if my arms get caught in it I am really unhappy and to create the amount of coverage I did, the straps are short and the claustrophobia is real.  






 

This was an experiment and I don't really like it.  To go on and copy my dream I would have to do some major modifications of the bra cups and how they come around to the back.  I would probably add an inch to each side seam.  I doubt I'd make this again as it is. Though I think it looks ok, I would prefer a really oversized look and in that case you lose all the coverage! This type of top (looking at you ogden cami) also really swamp me somehow.

 I am, however, impressed with how much coverage it does provide -- if you're willing to keep the straps short, you can actually wear a bra with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment