Wednesday 19 June 2019

Tilly and the Buttons Zadie dress review

I was enthusiastic about this pattern when it came out and bought it shortly afterwards.  It was separated from me for a long while and I just got it back! 

I had read many reviews on this and knew that it runs large, but still went ahead and sewed a size 3. The measurements for a size 3 on the envelope: 34-28-37 so I was already being generous sizing up.  I'm 33-27-37. Caveat there - My front bust is probably more like 32, the rest is my wide back.  Unlike everyone, my upper bust is larger than my bust, thanks to my fondness for upper body calisthenics (ie surfing.)



I used upcycled tshirts for this venture so some piecing creativity was needed. I can note a few things: the shoulders hold the weight of the dress, so it's best if that fabric and seam is strong.  (I used a rather worn tshirt for that bit, unfortunately.) Also it's good if the pockets match the dress because the pocket fabric does peek out a bit, though that might depend somewhat on how precise you are when sewing the 3-way seam at that juncture.

I found the instructions annoying - I really don't like colour photos as instructions - but they were fine. I didn't have any trouble with any steps, though that could also be that this was a muslin and I didn't care.  Things always go better when you aren't trying hard...

Possibly the colours of the V at the side seam are supposed to match up, though mine don't.









I'm not sure why I'm gracing you with so many photos, I don't really find this project that exciting!

Finally: this looks surprisingly ok in the photos, but it is huge.  It fits decently through the shoulders and is way too big from there down.  I will make a size 1 for my next version.  (More upcycled tshirts.)  I do worry that the size 1 will look small across the shoulders, but I think overall I'll be happier with it.  I'll also shorten by 4 inches or so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment