Monday 16 March 2020

Various bags, some of which are free

Ugh, why is everyone, me included, so desperate to get our hands on fancy bags to store our knitting?  I've become really disillusioned with this; I'm happy that independent human beings who are making things are able to drum up so much business that we are lemmings for the literal second that the items are posted online...but I hate being the lemming that didn't get the bag, month after month.

I tried to make my own.
(In truth my Ida bag, here, is going strong! I really should just make more big Ida bags.)  

Bag one is a wee drawstring number.



The drawstring isn't done properly because I only had one strand, and you are supposed to use two strands, one exiting on each side.  As long as I remember that and only pull the one side I can shut it just fine.  This project really mattered to me because it's made from scraps leftover after I made my first, failed metamorphic dress. I really love this fabric so I was happy to make the bag and at least get a little bit of the fabric in use.  Now, two years after the fact, I've finally harvested that fabric into a Sorbetto top so all is good in the end!

Here is bag 2, the Summer Madras Tote.  Here is the link.




This took forever to make because I am allergic to cutting out big squares.  It got trapped in moving mess. I had to buy extra solid interfacing for it...I pulled it out and then the idea of making my own bias binding stopped me.  Finally I got annoyed at having it sitting around.  This one is more of a grocery type bag.  All of that interfacing was Really thick!  I didn't have a problem sewing it, but it is a stiff bag, at least now before it gets broken in.

And then there is, of course, the Stowe bag.  I had the pattern away in my luggage in Australia but I couldn't wait *2 MORE MONTHS* and so I bought the pdf as well.  Sigh.  I experimented with some Stowe bags, made a bunch, got kind of irritated with them, and on my final version, bagging the lining so that it would be cleanly finished on the inside.  I store my knitting in it.  Haven't made the large size yet.  It seems bizarrely huge! 





This white one is the first one that I made, following the pattern, no lining, and I got a kit from A Verb for Keeping Warm (here are the kits, which are sold out) and did the sashiko stitching (my first!)  This kit consists of fabrics grown and woven in California.  The blue and striped one is the only other one I kept after I dispensed them among friends - it is two layers with no pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment