Friday 18 December 2020

True Bias Nikko Dress review

 I made the tops earlier in the year, and it's possible the entire matter was inspired by a certain sunflower print fabric from Emma One Sock.  I knew I wanted to make a long dress that was a single, unbroken cut of fabric.  In the middle of winter I wasn't keen to actually make dresses but I had some fun with the tops (here.) 

So, summer arrived.  And I needed something quick for a party.  I whipped up version 1 of the Nikko.  I went ahead with size 4 though I'd waffled when I made the tops about whether a 6 would be better.  It took a very short bit of time to make, even with figuring out how to finish the slit, and it's possible I made the entire dress on my sewing machine aside from the neck, which must be overlocked due to how tight it is. 








Everyone at the party was suitably impressed. I thought it was a wee bit tight across the bum so I tried to expand that part for the magical sunflower version, but naturally all my expansion was probably too high up so there's even more pooling in my back and the bum is, if anything, even tighter. Arg.  Hopefully the beautiful print is enough distraction. 

 








 I realised pretty quickly that I couldn't pattern match at the sides because the colours shift down the length of fabric, and also the front and back are somehow different lengths, so I had to just accept the imperfection.

I love this dress, but I think the allover pattern was a bit more flattering.  I don't have any burning need to make heaps of these but they are a great summer addition for just looking that touch more put together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment