Monday 29 January 2024

Republique du Chiffon Lucie dress v.2

 I made this dress many years ago. I was so confused by things - a lined dress, with a gathered lining!  I really worried about how floofy it would be.  I therefore used silk for the skirt lining and that dress was oddly one of the most amazing things ever, despite quite heavy initial misgivings.  Eventually I gave it away thinking I could surely improve on it...(?!) and I landed on this heavy textured viscose as the victim of such high hopes.  It has languished for a long time in the stash, vaguely united with this pattern.  

Finally got around to it, and realised I didn't have enough fabric to self line the bodice.  I found some black poplin and used that.  Size is 34 and this time I didn't line the skirt, that was the whole point of using a heavier fabric. 

Here was the original.  It is oddly anticlimactic to pull out the pattern pieces that caused me such angst, and see a super basic lined tank dress.  I guess I have learned a LOT in my self-taught sewing journey since 2015.  









 



No thrills in this construction.  I stay stitched, I burritoed, (I did NOT do the Vogue method that caused me trouble the first time around)  I overlocked all the skirt bits, and added pockets, of course.  The only drama is that the poplin is a weirdly stable feeling fabric in comparison to the viscose so the bodice feels like too much.  Hopefully it will calm down with wear.  I like this, I really love the low cut of the back, and summer was a good time to try it out - but after a couple of wears I just wasn't feeling this one so I gave it to a friend who loves it.  Weirdly I think I prefer the full silk lining, gathers and all.  It adds something.  I also don't really like the solid feel of lining the top with a different textured fabric.  I could see myself making this again but I would do a full silk lining as on the original dress (shocking!)  though of course still with pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment