Sunday 23 June 2019

Papercut Patterns Pinnacle top in silk noil

Um, by the way, welcome back, right?

There was a hiatus in the past months, as I got my sewing machines all in one place, and then made that place into somewhere I could sew. I was planning to slow sew this year - with intent. However, I realised that it didn't jive with being newly reunited with over 2 years of WIPs.  Yes indeed, uncertainty in my life meant that half my luggage, including my precious Pfaff, went to Australia without me and waited until this February when I could sort it all and send it back.

So I decided June would be the Month of Doing All the WIPs and UFOs no matter how dreary.

Well, this one isn't so dreary, I cut it out in January, but I cut out a LOT of things in January so it's still quite a slog getting through them all.

I did still have to figure out which view I'd gone with (view 2, too bad, at the moment I like view 1 a lot more...) Smallest size.

I did this in about 2 hours.  I had problems.  Both front halves, once you sew on the triangles, had overlaps.  Here's a photo:


I am on a mission to finish my WIPs!!
So I was sad but I reckoned the only thing to do was cut off that edge. So I did. And then I sewed them together and got this:


I promise I did not fail geometry class in high school.
I adore this shade of deep marine blue and I love silk noil and I wish I'd bought 10 more colours while I was in the States.  It's from Blackbird Fabrics.  But at that point I just said I was Over It.  Then ironically the hand made double fold bias tape went on with nary a hitch.




 





More problems: I don't really like how kimono sleeves make big wrinkles under my arms.  (In general.  I griped about that when I first made the Strata top - a partial fix is to do a french seam so you have only the tiniest of extra fabric there.)

I don't like the tie. Too cute.   I actually love the way the front sits though. (geometry fail and all.) 

Problems with the instructions: you aren't told which way to iron your seam allowances.  It's a small thing, but on a pattern with some weird origami it's nice to have that detail.

So I am likely to make this again with view 1.  Even though I am not a friend of facings.  It might not be soon though because it's way too cold to wear a roomy top.  I will apply the benefit of the doubt and say my silk noil may have stretched in transit or I may have done some lazy cutting and that's why I ended up with such a bizarre discrepancy in the pattern pieces...will need to repeat and see.


No comments:

Post a Comment