Wednesday 3 July 2019

Simplicity New Look 6429 & Orla Kiely stems


Well here we are, I did promise that I would do this again.  Here's version 1.

After I made version 1, I put in a heap of effort.  I actually shortened the pattern by an unknown amount, between 4-8 inches, at the midsection, redrafting the darts slightly to accommodate the changes.  I cut out this nice Orla Kiely fabric including a yoke that wouldn't be too busy. And then I boxed it all up for 2 years.

It's still a size 10 and it took a day or so to do. I can comment that it's a lot easier to handle single layer quilting cotton dresses now that I have an overlocker. Seams are controlled, there's no question of how to best finish things, and it all looks neat inside!



I'm the same size I was 2 years ago, but not quite in the same way.  (Looking at those old pictures I think they look surprisingly good!) But lest I get too sad about that - I was taking these pictures in my front yard and my elderly neighbors came out while I was wearing this dress, to tell me how good I looked. And yet again I think it looks more ok in pictures than I feel in it.





My end thoughts are that my style has changed too much. This feels just a bit too small everywhere. The poochy fabric-belly that was there before, is still there.  Maybe widening the entire dress would have been wiser than shortening it?  I think the stems are annoying because although my pattern matching was quite good, it's not perfect.  I just can't wear a dress like this, a cute, fitted, quilting cotton type number - and I'm not actually sure I ever really wanted to.  My friend Tessa has agreed to dispose of it, either on her daughter or on some hapless friends with kids. Yay!  

No comments:

Post a Comment