Saturday 4 April 2020

Frankenpants: Papercut Anima & The Great Jersey crop

Y'all...usually when I want something I just buy it.  I don't have the patience to try to draft things and I don't have the faith that I'll like my result.


These pants are an exception.  Here's a link to see them live.  I came really close to buying them...and then I thought seriously, this is So Simple.  There are tutorials online for drafting harem pants.  It also requires basically no skill, doesn't matter if it's not perfect, and I have many colours of jersey sitting around waiting to be used. Maybe not buttery smooth The Great jersey, but you know, whatever. I can always buy them later. Plus I'm not even going to wear them outside the house!  (That's a total lie, since this is New Zealand where anything goes.)

Not to mention that the website has all the measurements on it.
In case you care: rise is 16 5/8", leg opening is 8 3/4" and the inseam is 20 1/4" on the size 1 which is probably a size bigger than I would choose. I have a pair of Anima pants that I made awhile ago to give me an idea of what I'm starting with. The pockets are harvested from the Metamorphic dress pattern, because it was close at hand.

It has to go well, right?
Here's the post that inspired me, though there are others.








I wasn't sure how much to keep the initial crotch curve, versus creating the U shape of a lot of harem pants (these included.) I erred more on the side of keeping my original pattern.  The result looks a bit less like the Jersey Crops. Also, I think the measurement for the ankle opening is a diameter. I widened the ankles on mine and then stopped when I saw that the width of the back piece was already about 6 inches, which means my final result was 12" and the pattern should have been 17".  It's obvious that mine are tighter at the ankles.  The drop is less obvious.  And the fabric is linen, which doesn't have quite the body of the Jersey Crops. 

I can't say they are the Least Bit flattering, but they are magical in 2 ways:
1. I no longer feel like I need to buy the Jersey Crops - it's clear to me they would also not be that flattering, so why waste the money?
2. They are really comfortable and I can even do yoga in them!

I realised at some point they were going to be a bit see through, which they are, if you are looking closely, which you're NOT, right?

Anyway here's for one isolation success (in which I totally rock the delicious combo of bright purple pants and a bright pink cashmere sweater, a recent epic $15 secondhand shop score.)


No comments:

Post a Comment