Monday 20 April 2020

Merchant & Mills Top 64 review

I made a muslin first.
It's a really horrible muslin.
I used size 10, and shortened the sleeves to fit my fabric.
The fabric is all heavyweight knits!
But despite being kind of hugely long for me the furry cozy sweatshirt sleeves made it feel really nice on!  I finished it well enough that I can give to my local secondhand shops.  I will absolutely have a giggle if I see it on someone in town next year...






What I ascertained:
-shorten the body 6"
-sleeves about 5" longer than I made them (I think I shortened them about 12" due to fabric limitations.)
-Make the pockets as long as possible - in the pattern they are weird micropockets.

The photos were also really helpful, because though I feel like I'm swimming in this top I was completely shocked to see that it looks great on.  So if I wanted a long version I could do the pattern with no modifications (except extending the pockets.)

When I can buy fabric again I really want to do a leather and boiled wool version, but luckily I have some luxury cozy quilted layered gauze to tide me over!  Also quite good for layered lounging at home, I foresee.

I was happy with the pattern measurements in terms of size - it's pretty impressive that it fit over my hips with no need for swayback modifications. I would say that it's meant to be roomy and it matched my expectations that way.

For version 2 I really felt like removing 6" was changing the pattern too much, so I removed 4" below the narrowest part of the waist.  I lengthened the pockets 2" but didn't widen them at all.  I think my sleeves are now about 5" shorter than the pattern.





The weird shaped front pocket pieces and the two part sleeves make this pattern take up a lot of fabric!  Well, plus I always only buy 1.5 meters of everything.  This fabric is a multilayer quilted gauze, and it did start to fray and shed pretty quickly.  I overlocked and topstitched everything.  I did bias binding on the neck.  I didn't top stitch the pocket part of things, I sewed from the underside, which is probably a sign of laziness on my part and has resulted in wonkiness on one side.  The pockets are now a bit too narrow for their length, also.  





Overall I'd still like it a bit shorter, hah!  BUT I guess it's ok the way it is.  I'd widen the pockets a bit and make them not quite so much deeper, maybe 1" would be enough instead of 2".  My enthusiasm started to wane while I was sewing, which is characteristic of my current binge sew, I suppose. What's the NEXT EXCITING PROJECT?  Oh there are five.  Next week I'm back to work lots of days in a row so I'm allowing the wildness to run crazy for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment