Thursday 6 May 2021

Cool stitches Eva top review

I saw this top on Instagram and was intrigued.  I've never done an exposed stitching top, and on the designer it looked pretty neat.  So I went for it! 

You do actually pay money for this top, and there are ACTUALLY no instructions.  In fact, I had to text the designer to find out if there are seam allowances and then stalk her instagram to find out they are 3/8".

Good news is that the pattern layout in A0 is really neat and clean. No wasted paper here.

I had to go through a few iterations to get this to fit at all, and it remains pretty unflattering.  I think I did not realise that you should make this top out of a ribbing knit, not out of standard knits.  I do plan to do another one - maybe a tank or tee version with a normal neck, because really I don't like turtlenecks.  

Version one, size XS which is my size on the chart (which is on the pattern print out.) Pretty horrible! 



 

Sized up to S, and gosh, it's too big and still horrible. I know the stripes are bad - this was 100% a muslin.  I realised that what I needed to do was lengthen the top rather than make it bigger. 



 

Version 3 is XS and is my final iteration in merino.  I would wear this for outdoor activities when I plan to be cold - maybe as a snowboarding baselayer.  I don't think I would wear it as a fashion item.  







So maybe another version as lately I'm swimming in rib knits. But the initial enthusiasm has really faded. I don't think the booby outline thing suits my shape since I have so many ab muscles my torso is quite thick, and I think overall a pattern that isn't free should come with at least basic instructions.  On the other hand, I wonder if a very stretchy fabric would make this pattern shine - and I am totally delaying trying to flat overlap the pattern pieces and coverstitch them instead of overlocking, but I feel like that needs to be attempted.  So we shall see. 


No comments:

Post a Comment