Monday 15 November 2021

Linnea sweatshirt review, by Sinclair Patterns

 This pattern was free for a short period and I jumped at the chance.  I haven't made Sinclair patterns before, but they are often represented on the Blended Threads website, and I was very curious to try a pieced and colourblocked sweatshirt.  It didn't seem to matter which one exactly.  

I made a size 4 petite.  It was very nice to have petite options, however, I didn't feel like it was particularly petite so this must be a very long sweatshirt in the normal option.  The instructions were nicely written.  Size 4 was correct for my measurements.









I found that my pocket binding, in rib, led to the pockets not matching up with the side seams at all.  They were canted at an angle.  To determine if it was safe to just cut off those extra triangles, I sewed the sleeves so I could approximate the side seams before I did any basting of the pockets.  (It was safe to cut those bits off.)  I'm not sure if my rib being long made the pocket angle change. 

My huge beef with this pattern was regarding the labelling and expectations of the different coloured pieces.  I mentioned this on instagram because I was so peeved and my resulting sweatshirt angers me and I had to find a way to give it away immediately (a friend took me up on the offer.)  

The front pieces are labeled F1-F2-F3.  The back pieces are labelled B1-B2, then you have the option to piece the back in 2 pieces as well.  However, B2 lines up with F3, so technically it should be B1-B3.  As you can see, the colourblocking effect of my pieces doesn't match up at the underarms.   Second issue, which is obvious and I should have just changed this: the colourblocking in the only photos online is of the children's sweatshirt, where the colour change is about the level of the elbow.  In the adult version it's a tiny strip near the wrist.  I should obviously have ignored that cut line and made it near the elbow for a more balanced result.  

This top was a nice learning event in terms of what works where.  I will try the Itch to Stitch Lamma hoodie next winter, because I have some of the birds and associated terry cloths left (they are, by the way, from Ansje Handmade, I need to stop binging on european fabrics...) but I am not particularly tempted to have another go at this pattern.  However my recommendations are: obviously match B2 to F3.  Top of the sleeves in pattern, not in colourblock, to make it look less busy, and then with the lower half of the sleeves in colourblock.  If I did make this again I would probably shorten it 2".

The pockets are nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment