Monday 13 December 2021

Elizabeth Suzann Clyde pants 3

 I've made these a few times already.  Here for the first pair.  I didn't even like them that much.  I am not very happy with the pooling of fabric in the front of the crotch.  On the second pair I attempted a cheater fix by angling the front waistband and removing a triangle right below the foldover line, and also shortened the "waist zone" for the elastic to accommodate a smaller elastic.  I'm now kind of surprised to discover I apparently never blogged that second pair which were in a slightly stretchy brown wool suiting (so rare, I really blog almost everything!).  I wore them a few times and liked them ok but felt they would be better off with a friend so I sent them away.  

Now, I had this piece of canvas to ice dye and I wanted some pants and this pattern with its skinny little pieces fit on my fabric...so despite not liking the fit particularly, I committed.

This is again the modified version of the pattern where I angled down the front.  I noted on the previous pair that it's a partial fix, since really I would change the crotch curve to get rid of the extra fabric. The steep angle I've created is a bit tricky while folding the waistband over and for this pair, I used 1" elastic because that was the best fit for my channel.  






 

I ice dyed this fabric first then I cut it. 





I wasn't very happy with that first dye run - not enough dye!  Funny colour pooling.  I basically had cut exactly the right size fabric piece for the pants, because another project in a different set of dye colours is happening later.  So I was constrained as to where the pieces went.  After making the pants, I put them under another lot of the same colour dye which is warm black. Much better after that.  



 

They look a bit like clown pants when they are sitting around, but the fit is as expected.  It has rather reminded me that I am actually NOT very happy with this fit.  I might get around to making more Free Range Slacks this summer, and will almost certainly make more Pomona pants, but not any time soon.  If summer lasts long enough I would like to try the Bisque trousers but I'm moving to a colder clime (soon!) so it will be interesting to see what inspires me after the move.  

No comments:

Post a Comment