Thursday 16 December 2021

Friday pattern Co. Adrienne blouse review


I became interested in this top via instagram.  (Specifically when @s.is.for.sew posted a ribbed version, that's it, I was lost.)  I have been kind of put off by the Friday Pattern Co because they are pretty heavily advertised by paid instagrammers, and though I have eventually been curious about a few of the patterns, I like a lot of things.  So it took awhile for me to warm enough to decide to test one of their patterns for myself.  My enthusiasm peaked when I realised people were taking volume out of the sleeves, and that it didn't necessarily go off the shoulders (I can't stand off the shoulder tops.) 

So this top is a knit, relatively fitted and short waisted tee with a boat neck, elastic over the tops of the sleeves, which are billowy and bracelet length, also with elastic.  The recommended elastic is bra strapping, which is genius.  The sleeve pattern piece comes with a line to decrease sleeve volume.  

Fabric: The Fabric store Merino/viscose blend

Size S (It's very fitted so I didn't size down) 

I didn't lengthen or shorten it.  Shortwaisted for the win here! 

I removed 4"  YES 4" from the sleeve volume.  No other mods.  

The way this top comes together is unique.  It is a breath of fresh air.  You get a knit top without realising you've just finished because you are doing different things than the standard tshirt.  Initially I thought the angle where the front and back come together with the sleeve would irritate me (it's a bit bulky.  And it's hard to get even) but once the top is on, you can't tell.  Also, the top is symmetrical front to back so my technique was to try it on and go with the front as the side that looked better as a front.  I um made 3 

First one was a win







 


Second one is for a friend.  No mods though I experimented with the shoulder elastic being a few mm shorter.  This is the end of the some grey cotton blend from Mood.  Enjoy the weird light as I wandered around my house testing every angle for good enough shade.  









Third one is a tshirt.  I cropped the sleeves at 3".  As you can see they kind of poke out.  For a tshirt, I'm not sure this will be a summer win, it's the combination of quite tight which is too tight for summer and with sleeves that take up space, which doesn't fit under a cardi - but we will see.  I had a catastrophe moment when I cut my beautiful label in half which was going to Make the Top and I had to turn it into a Design Feature.






 

I considered making a fourth but I thought I should really stop here.  Thus I can say my first experience with the Friday Pattern Co was shockingly positive. The pattern took up very little space, best to print on A4 because it's not even a whole A0 page.  The instructions were great.  The drafting is fab.  No complaints (for once!)  


3 comments:

  1. How exciting not to have a complaint. I love the blue and the stripy top. It looks great on you. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I love the blue top and making the top was so much fun. I generally feel like it's my goal to identify any weaknesses of the patterns I make because everyone else who blogs seems to be paid/gifted things "in exchange for honest reviews" which are biased reviews. It's nice to be surprised by a pattern that I just all-out enjoyed!

      Delete
  2. I love the short sleeve version, what a great idea, it looks super on you. Your reviews are always straight to the point,and an informative read. Thank you

    ReplyDelete