Tuesday 4 July 2023

Made some more Pleats to Meet You pants


On my last two treks to Nepal, out of the blue, I have wished for a pair of comfortable, loose but just right black lounge pants.  Something to do with always wearing trekking pants...and each time a trek ends, I forget about this desire.  Partly I think because the shape in my head wasn't the same as either Anima or Hudson pants and I don't have any other lounge pant patterns, I just make those two!  I had the full trek to mull over this and finally hit on the Pleats to Meet You pants, which I have made before.  (I wrote about them here.)  I got some jersey at The Fabric Store (heathered dark grey rather than black) and one of my complaints about this pattern was mitigated by figuring out how to see just one page of a pdf at a time on adobe - so I could scroll down and zoom in adequately, rather than the annoying two pages across that I dealt with the first time.  The instructions are still annoying, but I have seen worse. 

I used the same size 10 as before despite thinking it was too big last time. I was too lazy to print out the pattern again!  Maybe I should throw it away so I have to rethink my size next time.

I basted the pleats WAY down, and haven't removed those stitches yet which influence where the pleat drape starts.  The fabric was obnoxious but I sewed these pants quickly to keep it from having time to roll up too much and I used 3/8" seams whenever I felt like instead of being obsessive about keeping to 1/4".  In my rush, I didn't think about interfacing the pocket opening, which you should definitely do to give that edge stability and keep it from drooping.  Mine droop.  I added cuffs by cutting fabric the width of the pant leg (front + back) then randomly removing a bit...and then another bit...until it seemed right.  I didn't shorten the pants. 

In the end these were so droopy and big.  So I just overlocked off a bit from knee through crotch and back down, probably 2" at the crotch and tapering to nothing at the knee.  

And proving that humans do eventually learn, I installed a waist elastic that is nice and loose so it won't tighten up when washed.  

I got new slippers!  They are not pink!  I love them so much!







 

The result is my new favourite lounge and sleep pants.  I have been wearing these for the past two weeks to sleep and lounge about in, with the only break being last night, to wash them.  They are nice and long and very buttery and comfortable and I think the front rise looks like I'm hiding something in there, but I don't care.  If I ever do decide I like this shape and want to make more, I have two choices: use a woven (these are really huge.) or cut a size 6 instead of 10.  Or both?!  

No comments:

Post a Comment