Wednesday 11 October 2023

Halfmoon Atelier Roma skirt, blast from the past

 

Suddenly saw a pool of leftover silk velvet on the floor and thought it would be a mighty fine Roma skirt.  I had a piece of fabric earmarked for it for years, but left the pattern at my parents and the fabric went to something else.  The first version took a long time to make as I didn't have an overlocker and I had a specific bias-tape related vision.  The pooling in the front was present then, but I had forgotten about it.  I don't think it lasted very long in my wardrobe.

This is truly a fast thing to make, obviously even faster if silk velvet isn't involved. I apparently made size M and seem to have shortened it approximately 8 inches.  I wrote the SA on the pattern and didn't engage with any instructions.  I overlocked the edge and folded it over, getting a bit lazy on one curve but otherwise the overlocked edge is under 1cm. On the previous version I overlapped the edges whereas this time I sewed them together but I don't think it would have changed the size much.

 










It took about an hour. Final thoughts:  that pooling in the front belly is really hideous, and the skirt pulls upward in order to create that pool.  I would need to size up even more, and it's getting silly for me to make an XL.  It's a cute skirt but not the nice fun loungeskirt I had envisioned, despite the feel of the silk.  I do think silk velvet is a great choice for this!  In fact, stretch velvet would probably work out nicely - I think this pattern would suit stretch fabrics really well although I don't have good advice on getting rid of the front pooch.  It's probably one I won't make again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment