Tuesday 18 June 2024

Sew Liberated Chanterelle pants review

 These were, in a way, the final of a binge of loose linen pants, and the hunt for the perfect pattern to make a pair of shorts out of (I think I'm resisting how I'm going to absolutely make linen lounger shorts, because my pattern pieces are a catastrophe and will need to be reprinted.)  But they were also kind of their own idea, as a friend of mine recommended them to me as climbing pants.  I had a really perfect piece of grey linen that I bought from The Fabric Store awhile ago, and thought it was a nice match.  

I cut out size 6, though I could have gone with 4 or 6, and shortened the legs 1" but didn't change the crotch.  Ends up I could have shortened it just a bit if I wanted.  I do feel like the smaller size would have been fine too, as overall these are quite roomy.  I was making these right before leaving on a trip, but for once not taking them on the trip, and for once they were the only project I was working on, so I actually took the effort to make the cardboard pocket jigs and I can now report they definitely make curved pockets look better than the usual steam and swearing.  

No mishaps or confusion in the instructions.  The hem action, with the pleats etc, was fun.  Sadly I got to the final two steps (sewing on the hem bindings, and inserting the waistband) and had to leave these while I went on my trip without even trying them on, though it meant I was really happy to sidle straight back into a project when I returned.  















 

Verdict: winter has happened and these are out of season and I will see them in the spring. Sorry for the strange lighting etc but it was freeeeezing outside.  I wasn't going to tarry. 

I like these, though I might have preferred them a size tighter, it's hard to say.  I'm not sure whether I need to shorten the crotch just a tiny.  The linen will probably shrink a bit more in the next few washes, but we will see. The pockets are fantastic and big and lovely.  The shape is pretty good, but I'll wear them around to see if I should make a second pair in some lightweight softshell and actually use them as a climbing and outdoor adventure pants.  The softshell is only 1m and it has been around for awhile so it would be nice to use it for something - it's my last piece from Seattle Fabrics, and they have become so weird (no in-store sales, and a very small selection compared to the past, at least online)  that even an upcoming trip to Seattle isn't enough to entice me to buy from them, sadly.

Onward to some season-appropriate sewing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment