You guys I'm just kind of drowning in amazing clothes lately. I don't know if I hit my groove, if I usually make things for other people, or what. Or maybe it's simple: the KILA TOP happened.
First version is in heavy rib knit. The kind of knit I struggle to use for anything. The original sweatshirting is long gone, it's too heavy to really make anything with, but I have a lot. So I made a tester version of this top. Size 4, no changes to the pattern.
The finish for the bindings is similar to the Mission Maxi top, I quite like this way of doing things. The big difference is that now I'm trying to coverstitch to finish the bindings and I don't quite know where to put the coverstitch seams. I have so many options - I can do 3 or 2 stitch, I can centre it on the rib, over the ditch, or below the rib. What is the right way to do things?
On v 1, I did two rows of stitching next to each other on the body. It's not visible on the rib, and sort of seems like it should be on the rib rather than the body. Also, this does not actually keep things straight, the fabric is not quite so friendly and so you can see all the places where it slipped around. As expected, there is a bit too much length in the straps, but the armscye is good and the length isn't too long. This is going off to a friend of course.
Moved on to v2. I removed about 1 cm from the front straps on the pattern pieces, which is a usual fix for me. I didn't adjust the pattern in any other ways.
This is a very stretchy pink knit with some flecks of brown in it. I don't recall what blend it is, but probably viscose or rayon. It is transparent. I wanted to use it for knit Arthur pants, but I didn't have enough. So I made this top two layers, and just treated them as 1 throughout. This time for the bindings I switched to centring 3 lines of stitching with the middle line in the ditch to keep things straight. This does not actually keep things straight, the fabric is not quite so friendly and so you can see all the places where it slipped around. It looks a bit messy, also because the top stitching is brown and it is visible. This shirt is very snug, the fabric obviously has less give being two layers and not ribbed, but none of that is bad. I don't know if I'll end up giving it away but I am happy with it.
Finally I was inspired to make v3. This fabric is a beautiful light rib, with irregular ribbing, and of course the pattern is spectacular. It's very stretchy but retains it's shape nicely. This time around I did the two outer coverstitch rows but not the middle one (this is my preferred coverstitch), and did 1 on the rib band, and 1 over the edge on the body to catch the underside of the binding. It looks terrible. As before no matter how much control you think you have, when the coverstitch machine sandwiches things together it pulls them to one side so a straight line is not always easy to achieve. Despite this I put this shirt on immediately and haven't taken it off since, so it took awhile to actually get photos because I was busy having fun in my amazing top.
No I'm lying, I eventually took it off to wash, but I basically sewed 6 items prior to my Europe trip and wore them all the time on the trip, they were so fantastic. I'm just feeling overwhelmed by having so many cool new options!













No comments:
Post a Comment