Saturday 27 July 2019

Ready to Sew Jimmy & Atelier Brunette

I made Jimmy just under a year ago, using scuba material that had a lot of body. (See it here.)
I found it oddly useless.  Not warm enough to be a warm layer, but long sleeved and thus not a great lightweight layer.  It's certainly pretty...

However this Jimmy was cut out before that.  It was from 2017 and I was so excited about it at the time. The fabric is Atelier Brunette and it was eye-wateringly expensive here in New Zealand. I did a practice version from merino, never managed to photograph it - for that I did the version with the hem band. It was overall too big and floppy, so I sized down to a 34. Now of course I know the 34 fit from my scuba version.

I think the fit is good and sewing was fine despite not having marked the pleats - I had to pull out the pattern pieces and mark them now.  I do love the idea of the 2 part sleeves.  However I don't really like the shape on me.  It's too fitted and then too loose.  I want either fitted or loose, not half of each!  I find it funny that I foresaw this with the scuba, noting that sweatshirting might not create the best fit.









It's cute and luckily I know a skinny teenager so I'm donating it on.  I have the tiniest bit of the fantastic fabric, maybe enough for the bands on a pair of Hudson pants.  Oh well, I guess there will always be more great fabric in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment