Monday 29 July 2019

Tank top binge: Mission Maxi tank & Halfmoon Atelier Super Basic tank

Not heaps to tell here, but I hadn't presented the Super Basic tank before, so it's always nice to have a bit of comparison.

For the Mission tanks, my usual size 6 with the front straps shortened about 1".
I removed a generous 4-6" off the hem as well.
Previously I really loved this finish.
I think it works best on stable knits.  On the extremely floppy rib knit, I overlocked the binding edge prior to folding it over, and the result is that it splays outwards and I ended up doing two layers of topstitching to control it.  None of that happened with the mushroom top, which I did in the usual fashion without extra overlocking.






Yep that's a label pinched off an upcycled dress...

The two layers are thicker and overlap at the shoulder strap because of being overlocked. 







As for the Super Basic tank, I was a pattern tester so I'd already honed into the right fit. I cut a size 3.

I think I shortened the front strap a bit here too, as that's a usual fix for me.  I cut these out months ago and so I was puzzled what was the front and what was the back - they looked the same!  I had to try it on a few times before I chose an orientation. Next time I need to remember to mark the front or back to make it more obvious. My fabric is a super stretchy modal blend. I shortened the neck band about 4" (should have done more) and the arm bands about 3".





I was thinking that overall I find overlocking the edges of neckbands seems to make them bigger. I used to just do a zig zag on the sewing machine and that is a very controlling stitch that doesn't stretch the fabric out - my tees and tanks done in that way have survived since literally my first year of sewing!  Overlocking may feel like it beats RTW but that is just not always the case. With that thought in mind I did the terra cotta tank (another very floppy ribbed item) with a zig zag instead of trying to feed it through my emotional catastrophe of an overlocker.  (There will be a review eventually, but unlike the reviews that I read prior to purchasing, I find the Babylock Imagine to be more like the Babylock Don't Imagine.)





I shortened the bands a lot more on this since it really needs strong bands to make up for the stretchy and floppy fabric. On the Mission since the binding overlaps, it controls the edge really well but with a normal neck binding like this, you need to have enough tension or the whole top won't fit right. I didn't measure very scientifically, just pulled it around the top until I got a sense that I had reasonable tension.  I also tested out a new photo location but didn't quite calculate properly...all the photos with good light had my head cut off. You're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment