Thursday 22 July 2021

Studio Calicot Boreale windbreaker, the tragic review

 WELLLL I think we could say this pattern is a total fail.  Too bad, I was looking forward to my oversized windbreaking jacket with cozy pockets...noticed there are really not many pictures of this online and I was hoping to triple the number haha.  





 I used a fleece lined softshell from Ansje Handmade. It made the pattern more stiff than it would be otherwise, but worked out fine overall. 

I did a lot of reviewing of my implementation once I got halfway through the pattern and realised it was miniaturised.  Sadly I did NOT notice until I was halfway through sewing it up - which has been a real lesson to me.

My pattern: printed on A0 by my local pattern shop.  I print a lot of patterns with them, and this one was in the middle of a pile that were printed all at once...

So why did my resulting product end up sized to fit an 8 year old?  LITERALLY? 

The seam allowance is 4/8".  This offered me the first hint of something being off, because this pattern had a really LOT of notches, and many seemed to be SA notches at 3/8".  But the pattern instructions said 1/2", and I did follow the instructions.  I didn't have problems with things lining up, there were too many notches, but in places you need them, they were there. In retrospect the alarm bells going off about the discrepancy were reasonable!

Yeah you guessed it. My print shop did a fail.  And I did too, because I assumed it would be great and I didn't check the size box for scale prior to cutting it out.  In fact, it took me *3* messed up patterns to realise that my print shop was at fault. 

Here she is: she loves her new jacket. 




Summary: 

I made a cute but tiny jacket, left off the ties because at that point I just wanted to finish it for its future 8-yr old owner.  It's a straightforward, simple pattern.  Obviously check the sizing square when you make your patterns!  I used my dream fabric for this and it's sort of burst my bubble regarding this jacket.  I have 2 more jackets to make this winter so hopefully I'll have better luck with them! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, love the fabric but what at shame it's not for you. Looks great on the 8 year old.. no wonder she's thrilled. Good lesson re printing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was pretty embarrassing to take 3 patterns that had errors before I finally figured it out! I was debating buying more of that fabric but my enthusiasm has kind of crested and then run out at this point...

      Delete