Tuesday 12 October 2021

Criswood sews Parasol dress review

 I was inspired to make this dress by Instagram and by a week of warm weather, suggesting that winter might someday end and I might actually not cover my entire body when going out.  (That weather didn't last.  Winter is not over.)  

It's a novel process as you measure yourself and then build pattern pieces based directly on your measurements.  Thus, everyone has a one-size dress.  I'm seeing so many benefits from my foray into quilting, and one of them is that I've gotten over my fear of measuring things.  I would have found putting together a pattern of rectangles to be traumatic a few years ago.  Now the main problem was taping together sheets of paper to fit.  You end up with a bodice piece, a skirt piece, the pocket, and a facing/tie piece.  I duly noted that the gathering would probably be better in a lightweight fabric.  Then of course my stash failed me, because I couldn't get this dress to fit on 1.5m of fabric and I have a very bad habit of never buying more.  This toucan print rayon has been in my stash for so long I no longer love it - my eyes have kind of gotten bored of looking at it.  And so it was time!  

The dress comes together very neatly and is a fun, satisfying sew.  I popped it on and was sort of fascinated.  This dress also is probably much better suited to a taller, wider and more full-figured person.  I don't think it's flattering on a small body.  I don't have any bra visibility at the front or back, though the sleeves are low they don't show much.  The drape makes it quite fun to wear.  I think for summer when a muumuu is just the thing - this is a good classy muumuu.  It is going to my friend R in Tucson since she lives in the land of permanent summer.  When I saw my pictures I did think harder about this dress as I feel good moving in it and I think it has a subtle grace to it with an almost cocoon look at full length.  I'm not rushing to make another one of a drapey fabric, but it's in my head. 









I decided to move on directly to the vision I had had.  I knew perfectly well that this might look like a toddler's dress.  I shortened the dress 8" and managed to stripe match only because it's so easy I would have had to work to not match them.  My striped fabric is heavyweight linen from The Fabric Store and I bought the end of the bolt when a lady walked in the shop wearing a dress made of it and made me totally covet my own.  I also shortened the width of the skirt piece a little bit, about 2", so the gathering would be less. 













 

It does match my vision and it's wearable, and I suspect once summer comes I will wear it a lot.  But it does kind of look like I'm a toddler.  The dress is not actually as short as it seems, or at least when I wear it I don't feel uncovered, maybe because of the volume.  The pictures make it seem super short!  

This was a really fun project even if not quite seasonally appropriate...

No comments:

Post a Comment