Wednesday 27 October 2021

Summer fling dress by Sew This Pattern, take 2

When I made my first version of the pattern I left it short because I ran out of fabric.  I knew I wanted a second one both to try out the full length and to see if I could get the bodice to sit perfectly.  My changes were hard to track in terms of how long the straps should be, and the direction of force on them. 

I noticed that the bust darts were way (2") below my bust, and in fact if I pulled the entire bodice up by 2" it sat better under my arms too.

The armscye bias binding made a kind of 90 degree turn where it hit the top edge of the bodice front, going out over the shoulders. 

I could lower the back a tiny bit more.

The pockets are great but could be higher - I used the bardon dress pockets (Elbe Textiles) and they are MASSIVE - hah, almost as long as the first dress.

With these thoughts in mind and actually much deep reflection, I decided this needed to be the first dress this year because I had been thinking about it so long.  I bought the fabric last year, it's Liberty Poplin, and because I actually bought it for this project, I did buy enough.  I used the same bias for the front neck, over the shoulders, and the back.  I did shorter bias strips under the armscye.  That meant I had to keep a centre back seam.  I took about 1" off the width, raised the darts 1" and just removed a smidge more off the back while adding about 1" to the armpit coverage.  I decided not to shorten the straps to raise the front to where it probably should be, because the location of the front neckline suits me and I didn't want to change too much at once.  I used the Bardon pockets but put them higher.

 









 

 

The bodice seems long, but it should be standard length, maybe the weight of the dress pulls it longer.

 





 

This feels like a lot more dress compared to my first version, but that's always the problem with multiple versions of a thing.  They won't be the same, nor should they be!  Since spring is now flowering I will hopefully start to wear this and we will see if I love it as much as I loved my very short version 1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment