Thursday 8 February 2024

Megan Nielsen Amber dress, though maybe it's hard to tell...

 Paulina requesting breastfeeding dresses and we settled on this, with the caveat that the cross front should be underneath, and a tshirt panel over top.  (As designed I'm self-censoring my opinions on how sickly this dress is...) But THEN she texted and said sleeveless please!!  

So, I cut my size - XS (though my hips are slightly larger) since it said go by pre-pregnancy size, and other people said it was very oversized.  I had 1 meter of the birds, which are DIRECTIONAL fml, and you know "very oversized..." so I cut 2x the back skirt instead of a front skirt.  Used the Deer and Doe Givre, which was handy, to recut a tank top armhole and some bindings, as well as the front overlay panel, I think I just overlapped the two patterns to get a tshirt front piece.  I made the tshirt overlay as long as the front waist panel, then added a binding of the same length so it wouldn't really be snugger. 

Got the top bit put together on one side and though I had best try this baby on...and hm, it really doesn't fit below the waist, oops.  I luckily just had the one side sewn together and I had ONE triangle of leftover fabric, so I stuck in that entire triangle from the waist down to the hem and sewed it in.  Whew, dress goes onto ME now and looks a bit like designer post-partum wear.  I hope Paulina can get it on!  

Sent it over and the verdict - PERFECT! It's really snug on her, as you'd expect just having a baby, but she doesn't need a bra with it, and luckily the front is roomy enough for the post baby tum.  She has requested another so now I'm stuck trying to recreate my skirt-saving fix again...(might just add a few cm to the waistband and skirt...) 











I would say this is TRUE to SIZE though I can't comment on the exact front as designed since I hacked it quite a bit. I do think it's reasonable to size up if you aren't in the market for a snug designer look breastfeeding dress, and of course use the skirt as designed with pleats if you want it to be a pregnancy item as well as functional post-partum.

No comments:

Post a Comment