Wednesday 4 September 2019

Ogden cami by True Bias

I'm seeing the light at the end of the UFO tunnel. It is however not as fun to make all these UFOs because I'm dreaming of projects that I'm a lot more excited about and I can't touch them!

This UFO was cut out in 2017 and is the same washed silk that I used to make my first Arenite pants.  I reckoned that the boring colour would translate into a totally useful basic. I then participated in the Ogden & Ida swap and after making one Ogden cami I couldn't handle making a second one.  For no reason, I HATED the process of making it.

A friend has recently told me she adores this shape for summer tops more than anything. She's just moved to the UK - somewhat unwillingly - and as a consolation I plan to make her a few so I guess I have to get over it.  (This one's earmarked for her to test the fit.)

This is a size 4.

My pieces were not stay stitched prior to packing and shipping, so after a good iron I have no idea whether they've stretched out.  I went ahead and stay stitched now, better late than never...there was a little bit of stretching that I saw in the facing pieces but overall everything lies pretty flat.






Because of the past hate I didn't do anything like french seams.  I overlocked seams that might show - the body sides I overlocked together but the facing I did each side separately so it would lie flat.

It would be grand to say that I love this but I absolutely can't stand it.  I feel like the fit is not particularly flattering to me. It's a bit too narrow across my back, though the front is fine, and then it balloons out below the bust rather than skimming.  It pools in my back due to my swayback/muscled bottom.  I don't think it would take heaps of work to change these things but I didn't enjoy making it and so I don't plan to do that.  I do wear cami tops but I just can't get myself to love this one.  I'm really pleased to have a friend who wants it!


3 comments:

  1. Love your blog. Can you recommend a good winter pants pattern? I'm dipping my toes in the clothes making arena..
    Thanks! Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy! Thanks for your comment. I think the main decision is whether you want to do something with a fly front, or if you want to do elastic waist pants. The Philippa by Anna Allen is versatile and her instructions are impeccable. The Cali Faye Hampshire is a pretty straightforward pair of pants that I've made a few times. If you really want them to be easy, avoid the fly and make something like the Colette Clover or the Ultimate Pants by Sew over it. Have fun!

      Delete
  2. Wow, thanks so much Begonia! Definitely thinking elastic rather than a fly to begin with. I'll look into your suggestions 👍

    xx

    ReplyDelete