Thursday 5 September 2019

Persephone by Anna Allen, version no. 3

My beautiful green Persephone pants shredded in the wash. It turns out that the velvet wasn't so strong and the stitching at the waist couldn't hold it together.  It wasn't going to be easy to repair so in the meantime I have them in a corner awaiting some upcycling-brainstorm.  (A delicate jacket, methinks.)  So I had to make more.

Also because yet again I just don't seem to understand the concept of heavyweight duck fabric, I made some Persephone pants out of a wool woven.  It is somewhat heavier than all my previous Persephones, so I'm getting there!  Also this time I made the big leap and sized down from a 4 to a 0.  Spoiler: I think a 2 would have been a better choice.  Live and learn.

I'm pretty good at making these by now.  I made them on a Sewing Day with my friend Tessa when I was over in Hamilton visiting the nice places I used to live.  I used my size 4 pattern to adjust the crotch height, the total decrease was about 1", above the level of the hips.  I could use even more of a decrease.  In fact, when I make these again at some far away point in the future, I should do the size 2 and I should remove another cm off the top of the pants. Then the waist would be a bit bigger, and that would be nice.  I'm 5'4" and seem to be about 27" waist and 37" hips.  I'm somehow very short everywhere.  My torso is short and my pelvis is short.  I'm beginning to think I need to shorten all pants patterns below the waist, the way I'd usually shorten a tshirt above the waist. 

As it is, the effect is sort of that I have been poured into these.









Sadly even though I'm reunited with my beloved Pfaff, I am not doing good buttonholes.  I had a lot of trouble on the main buttonhole, though the small ones went ok, and I think from now on I'm going to just do them manually.  That is in the instructions in the Dawn Jeans (which I'm currently making) and it would save me a lot of drama. 

There is a huge tummy tuck happening in the front, it's like all my guts are sucked in by the tight pants, but it is rather too much.  I am giving these to a friend because they are too tight for comfort!

No comments:

Post a Comment