Monday 9 September 2019

Papercut Palisade pants in jacquard

Each Papercut collection is really a joy to see.  I love the aesthetic and the development of the designer's style.  I also generally like the simplicity of the patterns. The newest collection, Geo, was no exception. I kind of wanted to make everything, but I kind of wasn't sure what I actually was going to like...I've made the Fjord cardi, and I've made the Pinnacle top, so here we are at the Palisade pants.

I noticed that a lot of people went crazy trying to fit these pants. I was actually going the way of the muslin and then for some reason I decided to get this slippery black jacquard fabric and dive in, and seriously just make one good pair.  I was working on these while on night shifts, and so it took days because I couldn't trust myself to do anything the least bit complex.

I chose size XS, which matches my measurements.
I thought about trying to make some adjustments, like shortening the crotch, but I didn't.  The result is that the waist of these seriously has a relationship with my ribs.  These are NOT hip huggers.  I'm ok with it for now but I'd definitely shorten them between the hips and the waist about 2" on future pairs.  The waistband elastic measurement was spot on for me, I could maybe do with it a touch looser, but I'm sure time will loosen it.  I found the casing to be about 1 cm too big for my elastic and so I wonder if I got the wrong size, but I didn't much care. 

I think others have noted - you get the buildup of lots of layers at the pocket area, so it's worth considering if your fabric will get too thick in that area.  I do find the pockets are in an odd location for me, so if I want to put anything in them it will be right over my hips, which is annoying.  Maybe if they are higher, when I shorten them, that won't be a problem anymore.















With my 31" inseam these just about hit the ground.  The fit is very good other than the super high waist.  They don't do anything special. The fabric is pretty heavy and was a fantastic match for the pattern. The pattern was easy to understand and put together and I never got confused or irritated by it.  Because of the high waist they look really classy! 

Summary: fun to make, neat pockets, not particularly flattering, not particularly unflattering...they were fun!  I'm glad to have them!  But I won't make them again for awhile.  Maybe in a few months I'll do up a capri version.

No comments:

Post a Comment