Wednesday 8 September 2021

Pixie dress by Chalk and Notch patterns, experiments

 I had made a Pixie dress last summer as a quick experiment.  It was in a bland oatmeal coloured interlock knit, nothing that would inspire anyone anywhere, really.  But I noticed it had a subtle flair and I thought in the right material this dress would be amazing.  I didn't write down what size I made, other than that it was accurate according to the size chart.  So - go by the chart!

I finally got around to some variations because I have friends who need dresses.  The one rule: pockets! 

Version 1.  I shortened the pattern 1" above the bottom band.  Added inseam pockets. Fabric is heavy italian viscose from Mood Fabrics.  The weight of it probably added that inch back!  It was very annoying to me to overlock so many seams so I could add the pockets...but otherwise this is a tshirt pattern so it's very easy.  In this fabric it looks shapeless but moves with you in a really nice way.  




 
I see I should put the hem seam on the side next time! 

Version 2. Sweatshirting, lightweight, and used rib for the neckband and hemband.  I shortened the hem rib a little extra and I actually like that look.  This time I put patch pockets on it using the Philippa pants pattern piece.  I prefer this to the inseam pockets.  I think you need something to break up the expanse of the front of the dress.  This is super cute and cozy, though for myself I guess there's a contradiction between sweatshirt material and short sleeves, I think the dress is great and my friend, who lives in a cold place, will probably love it to layer.




 


I haven't made this dress for myself yet because I'm waiting on the right fabric and nothing seems just right.  Summer is coming so maybe I'll be inspired with warmer temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment